Feb 21, 2012

Peek-a-Boo: Fun on the Nate Berkus Show

Yesterday was such an exciting day ..

While still in Los Angeles, I had to wait until the end of the afternoon in order to be able to wacth myself what many of my online friends were watching ~ the Nate Berkus Show segment that I was a part of, and having to read the live feedback as each of my Twitter friends commented and shared their support.


So what am I talking about? Let me fill you in on all the details.

At the beginning of the year I was part of a group of three designers that participated in a Design competition on the Nate Berkus show using the online mood board site, Olioboard.



  













My partners in crime on the show in support of this great new site were

Rachel DeSchepper

She is the Web Editor of Country Living magazine.















"I'm always dreaming of how to spruce up my Brooklyn apartment, and I’ve always got a project up my sleeve: rehabbing a dresser I found on Craigslist for less than $20, for instance, or painting (and repainting) my room until I've found the winner out of 80 different shades of blue-gray. I love city life, but dream of wraparound porches, window seats, and backyard gardens. Until then, I live vicariously through our magazine and website."



and also



Rebecca Tier Soskin















An interior designer, Rebecca began her career at Laura Ashley Inc. in Boston where she focused on Visual Merchandising, Home Furnishings and Interior Design.
In 2005 Rebecca moved to New York where she was hired by decorator Markham Roberts, but since has begun her own firm and writes for Material Girls Blog New York.



 

 
So the challenge began when we were set the task of creating a design scheme for a room in our homes in inly a few days, selecting from a few outstanding products offered on the online mood board website - Olioboard.

My inspiration for my home office that would remind me of my moments by the water, with wide Blue and White horizontal stripes and a large dining table used for my desk.





Here is what my board looked like.
1. Art (Sailboats) and Bike chain bowl by Spirit of Sports; 2. Rob White Dining Table & Chelsea Dark Grey 3-Seat Sofa by Fashion for Home; 3. Studio Office Chair - White by Chiasso;  4. DEJA VU Linear Suspension by Blauet & Dome Floor Lamp by Sonneman by Lumens Light & Living; 5. Snug Cloud End Table by Snug Furniture via All Modern; 6. Resort Zebra Green & White Rug & Regina Andrew Bone Veneer Tripod Side Table & Trina Turk Painterly Plaid Blue Embroidered Linen Pillow & DwellStudio Pebble Blue Double Bulb Vase all by Zinc Door; 7. Fade to White in Green & White Table Lamp by InHabit










Not only the possibility of being able to create as well as your 2D mood board, a 3D option.. one that is more realistic and resembles how the room would look if we were to create the space.




The show began with a really great interview by Nate Berkus of Olioboard.com co founder Sheilah MacSporran as she explained the in's and out's of how great a tool this site is, not only for designers but also for those wanting to discover new product and try it out before they make a commitment.
I also imagine this could be a great tool for home owners that want to use this as a way of communicating with their designers the types of furniture and accessories that they would potentially like their designer to consider..



Click the Image for the clip of this segment of the show

 


So as you can see from the video link above, the TV segment began with each of us introducing our designs and explaining a little about our thought process.
After the break we were back and Nate reveals MY DESIGN as the winning design!

It was such an exciting moment as I see the screen pull back only to reveal the blue and white stripes painted on the wall..
The room looked great and of course I jumped out of my seat and attacked poor Nate Berkus! I promise never to make any joke about these TV moments in the future. You completely loose touch with any reality and happiness takes over...

and to watch as I see the room for the first time, enjoy the link below.



Thank you so much to those wonderful product lines that were great in getting all these items to the show in record time, to Sheilah and everyone at Olioboard for asking me to join in this adventure, to Leslie Carothers from The Kalediedscope Partnership for being such a kind soul and introducing myself and many of us to this great site, and of course to Nate Berkus and his team from the show for making my American TV debut a really fun experience.


For those of you interested in having a look at some of the other items available by these brands for your own Olioboards, please visit these my boards and all these links.


Wishing you all a wonderful week and more from LA tomorrow..

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win! Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you!! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jennifer!!! Loved the striped wall, it pulls the whole design together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Congratulations! So proud of you! I love the room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Jennifer, for the great support of our social media clients, Olioboard and Spirit of Sports! Seeing you on national TV was such a thrill for me!

    I can't wait to meet you in real life next weekend at the Design Bloggers Conference!

    This is a great post.

    You rock!

    xxoo

    Leslie (@tkpleslie(

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! SO excited for you - I taped the show so I could see it. Can't wait! Congratulations - well deserved! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fabulous. Congratulations on your win. Love what you created. Cant wait to meet in person.

    ReplyDelete

@Dec-a-Porter we love to hear from you ...Please share your comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...